Caran d'Ache Supracolor, Coloured Pencil, Derwent Watercolour, Insects, Prismacolor Verithin, Watercolour pencil

Here Be Dragons

Mark and I have long been interested in odonata, that is dragonflies and damselflies. Mark, in particular, will spend ages trying to capture specimens, either with a camera or actually physically in a net for closer viewing (it doesn't hurt the insects and they are released once identified and recorded). It's a good hobby for… Continue reading Here Be Dragons

Bird Art, Caran d'Ache Supracolor, Nova Scotia bird art, Watercolour pencil

Roseate Tern

There has been a brief hiatus in my postings, and in my art, due to us hosting visitors from the UK. Indeed, we have three additional separate groups coming over the next few months, so I expect my time available to paint will be pretty limited, but every visitor is welcome and much wanted! Before our last… Continue reading Roseate Tern

Bird Art, Caran d'Ache Supracolor, Derwent Watercolour, Nova Scotia bird art, Watercolour pencil

Beachy Nuthatch

Mark has been taking a few trips to The Cape recently. For those who don't know, 'The Cape' is a sandy island off the end of The Hawk, Cape Sable Island, inhabited by sheep, birds, the automated Cape Light lighthouse and occasional mad birdwatchers. It is reached by a small boat, navigated by an indomitable 89-year-old,… Continue reading Beachy Nuthatch

Bird Art, Caran d'Ache Supracolor, Nova Scotia bird art, Watercolour pencil

Red Letter Bird

Spring in southern Nova Scotia is well under way, and we have been blessed by a plethora of excellent and unusual birds. Our garden feeders have been busy with Grosbeaks, Indigo Buntings and Baltimore Orioles, amongst the more common visitors, but we have yet to be graced with one of this species, the spectacular male… Continue reading Red Letter Bird

Caran d'Ache Supracolor, Derwent Watercolour, Landscapes, Landscapes of Nova Scotia, Watercolour pencil

Low Tide Too

Another image of the flats between The Hawk and Cape Island, this time in a slightly different direction. I took this picture late last spring and always liked the desolate feel of the flats at low tide, along with the single little boat left stranded on the sands. There was a profusion of rocks and… Continue reading Low Tide Too

Bird Art, Caran d'Ache Supracolor, Landscapes, Landscapes of Nova Scotia, Nova Scotia bird art, Watercolour pencil

Low Tide

I've been a bit nervous of landscapes; I've been unsure that I could make a good go of it since they don't generally lend themselves to the detail that I like. I decided that I really have to get more practice in, so I've determined to alternate the bird pictures with landscapes or wharves. A… Continue reading Low Tide

Caran d'Ache Supracolor, Derwent Inktense, Watercolour pencil, Wharves and Boats, Wharves of Cape Sable Island

Another Wharf

Another, not a half-Klingon security officer, but another of the harbours of Cape Sable Island. One of larger wharves, Clark's Harbour wharf has plenty of colourful lobster boats operating from there. I took a photo for this image late last year and have only just got around to painting it. As is my normal… Continue reading Another Wharf